Friday, March 06, 2009

It wont be like this for long...

Stephen and I say this to each other far too often. When we move into the house, the babies will sleep better....when we move into the house, we will be organized again....when we move into the house things will calm down...you get the picture, right? The fact of the matter is that while we have been saying this, a WHOLE year and a half has passed us by!!! I cannot believe it. Jackson was 6 weeks old when we moved in here!!! When Stephen and I had babies, we made a pact that we would raise them together as a team. Often times, the mama does most of the childcare and the daddy works. Not in this little family. We have always made it a point to see each other every day...well, except every third day when he works!
Lately, in ALL the craziness of our lives, I work full time now and he is up at the house every waking moment, we have become almost accustomed to just "passing by"one another throughout the day...handing the babies off while the other goes to work. It has been a hard adjustment this past few months. An example of how rotten I am and how dependent on the man I am...he stayed home for four straight weeks when I had Mads!! Now It seems we hardle have time to sit and talk.
A few weeks ago, we started our day with a sweet moment I'd like to share. Stephen had gotten off work from a 24 hour shift, he normally sleeps about 5 hours on a good night, and had gone straight up to the house. I had gotten up, fed babies, dressed babies, forgot to dress self, got kids in car, drove them to school, then went straight to starbucks for my daily love affair. I dropped off the dry cleaning, vaccumed the car out, and was headed back into the house to straighten up and do mounds of laundry, when I saw my good lookin husband standing outside of his new home just looking up with a smile on his face. I drove the good ole mini van up the hill and had the best conversation I have ever had.
S: Hey babe
B: Hey honey, you doin ok? Sleep last night?
S: Nope, you ?
B: Nope.
Stephen is leaning his arm in the window, and I have my head resting on his arm. We are now looking up at this massive house we have built up. ( We didn't mean to make it this big..seriously we didn't)
B: That right there is a house.
S: Yep that is a house alright babe. That is our house.
B: Mmhmm...our house.
Stephen looks at me and smiles. Then he leans into my used mini van that I swore I would never drive. And he kisses me. Kisses me like I have never been kissed. I felt like a fifteen year old again. I kinda wanted to vomit from the butterflies in my stomach. And for about 20 seconds, in my mind, I was showered, my teeth were brushed, I had on my wedding gown , and I was the most beautiful woman alive. Our house.


So, in the next few months, while we continue to say, "when we get into the house", I will remember that moment, and remind myself...It wont be like this for long.



3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Wow, Beth. That is such a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing it...and for marrying Stephen.

Kate Borders said...

So, so sweet - thank you for sharing your moment with us. Those Borders men are keepers!!

Love you,
Kate

Anonymous said...

hey cous.Looks like you guys are getting closer everyday. Can't wait to see it finished! Love ya!