Friday, September 12, 2008

The slippery slope of Demolition





















If I ever wrote write a book on remodeling I will apply some rules gained through my experiences with this house. The first rule would have to be, be careful what you tear down; you have to build it back. It is easy to underestimate the demolition process. While planning this project I of course planned for time and expense of demolition. Expense should be minimal and be mostly disposal fees with some crashing and smashing tools. Time on the other hand is something I greatly miscalculated. I assumed that if Extreme Home Makeover could demo a house in a day, surely I could do it in two months. Well the difference is two fold. First the residents are moved out before the project starts, something that has been a struggle for me. It's hard to evict Margy Borders from a house that she has owned for 50 years. The thing is EHM uses a track hoe and levels the house and starts from the slab. Our demolition has been more art than testosterone. As art projects go we are way behind. We have had to take everything apart piece by piece and label what is going back and dispose of the trash. It has taken a while, but we are finally at the next stage rebuilding. I will try to keep up to date with everything going on, but the pace has quickened and the work is plentiful. It is getting exciting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You probably thought you were trying out for the circus. All those "hoops". You and Beth have been soooo patient as the days went by. We know you guys are very excited, and we are looking forward to watching things happen. We will be there for anything you need.
Love you all,
Mother and Dad

Anonymous said...

Or was that months that went by?

M&D

Anonymous said...

I SOOOOO...love you both for even thinking of investing the love, the time, the effort, the creativity, and the money that is essential for this project. Above all--it's HOME.
Cissie